Its practically Autumn now, have you noticed? Last week we were in the 90's and now its scarcely 65! I love it! Fall is my favorite season because I love wearing cozy hoodies and sweaters... drinking steaming hot drinks flavored with Pumpkin
Side Note: holy crap - did you know a Grande (err "medium") Pumpkin Spice Latte at Starbucks is $4.55?! I go there once in a blue moon and immediately remembered why after ordering my PSL! Yes, it was delicious, though.
And... fall means making yummy comfort foods that you just don't feel like making or eating in the summer!
Which leads me to this deeelicious Slow Cooker Lasagna recipe. It makes a huge amount and works perfectly in an oval shaped slow cooker. We had plenty of leftovers PLUS freezing a large dinner portion. If you have teenage boys, this could actually fill them up with servings to spare!
Prep Time 30 minutes
Cooke Time about 4 hours on low
What you'll need:
- 1 lb lean ground beef or turkey
- 2 jars spaghetti sauce - whatever your fav is... store bought or homemade
- 2 cups water
- 1lb whole-milk ricotta cheese
- 2 T chopped fresh flat-leave parsley and/or fresh Basil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 18 ruffle-edged lasagna noodles (not no-boil)
- 1.5 lbs mozzarella or Italian shredded cheese
- 2 cups grated parmigiano-reggiano or parmesan cheese
- Italian Seasoning (dried)
1. Brown ground beef on medium heat (about 10-12 minutes) until just cooked. Add your fav spaghetti sauce and add water and bring to a simmer. Set aside on low heat stirring occasionally.
2. In a small bowl combine ricotta, parsley (and or basil) salt & pepper to taste and set aside.
3. Spray inside of your crockpot with cooking spray. Spread a layer of sauce at the bottom of the crockpot. **Cover the sauce with a single layer of uncooked lasagna noodles (3) breaking them to fit along curves. Spread about 1/3 cup of ricotta mixture over noodles (I found holding the noodles like a piece of bread being spread with butter was easier than putting noodles in pot first, then spreading ricotta.) Now top that with 2 cups of meat sauce simmering on stove, then sprinkle with 1 cup mozzarella cheese and 1/4 cup of the parmigiano-reggiano (or parmesan) cheese. Sprinkle lightly with Italian seasoning. Now repeat this process 4 more times starting at the **
4. Cover and cook in your slow cooker on low for about 4 hours. The noodles should be soft and cooked through. Add a sprinkling of parmiagiano-reggiano or parmesan cheese once plated.
Let me know how it turns out when you whip this meal up for your household!
Thanks for stopping by!